Sunday, May 01, 2005

May Day

It's the first of May. In a perfect world it would be sunny and warm, the grass would be green and the trees would all be leafed out. Here in the real world it's cold, windy, and very little of anything is green. It has tried to snow all weekend long, although thankfully, it hasn't been too sucessful at it.

Some of the neighbours have been out planting their pea crops; it's something that can be planted early, although I'm not sure if this is because the plants are resistant to late frosts or that they need the extra time for germination. Peas are a crop that has become popular lately - since Glen and I have started moving away from growing crops, and more towards raising cattle.

I don't think there have been too many grains sowed yet, although, now that it is May things will really get rolling this week. Glen knows what he will be sowing, but is still deciding where he will put what crop. There will be a lot of work to do this next month as he wants more fence finished so that he can sort out his herd a little better and not put so many animals on a pasture at a time. So far it has been a pretty dry spring and we don't want to put too much stress on the plant life in the pastures. You have to let the grasses get a good head start before you let the cattle out to eat it. You want the animals to graze it, not kill it.

The latest government checks have started trickling out to post office boxes this past week. This is the money announced earlier this year to put money in farmer's hands so they can put their crops in. I wonder how much good it will really do. There are so many problems to do with the whole farming scene.

Low grain prices, bad weather, and insane crop input costs make a person wonder what the heck he's going to do. Sure, Ottawa is sending out some money - and it sounds like a lot in the announcement - but once it's all divided up, will it be enough to make a difference? With the price of fuel today, it will cost Glen $280.00 to fill the tractor's fuel tank every day. Hopefully, we'll be able to plant what crops we sow in five or six days, but our farm is small. What about the guys with ten times as much land? Think of what their bills will be. And that is just fuel - what about seed, fertilizer, chemical treatments?

I'm not saying that the government should be responsible for putting the crop in, because I don't believe that. Farmers don't even want that. But, on the other hand, if the agriculture industry is going to survive, we need our farms and our farmers. This week alone, I've heard of three of our younger neighbours trying to find someone to rent or buy their land. They are struggling to take care of their families and their futures - for them it means their farms have to go. I wonder how long the agriculture industry in Canada will be able withstand an almost constant exodus of it's "ground force" people before there is nothing left?

2 comments:

Deacon David Oatney said...

Hello Ms. Hainsworth;
I used to read your entries on the CBC website with a great deal of interest, and I have actually searched for you on the CBC site. It took some digging to find you, but I did!

I have found your vivid discriptions of your family's life to be most enjoyable to read. I often find myself picturing in my head the things you describe, from the scenes of the seasons on the prairie to working your farm every day, to the things you do with your family. Now that I have discovered your blog, I look forward to reading much more.

I can say with honesty that I haven't always agreed with you on all points...for example, as an American, I found your indictments of our agribusiness and trade practices to be particularly biting. However, as a person who by nature sympathizes with farmers and toilers everywhere, I also take much of what you say as truth, because I know that farmers and ranchers are not a political interest group of choice in the New Post-Industrial paradigm. It is a sad commentary on society when we forget the very people on which great civilizations are built.

JOCELYN said...

Dave - Thank you so much for your honest comments. Of course my point of view is fueled by circumstances beyond our control and therefore extremely frustrating. I don't supposed to know everything about the whys and wherefores we have to live with as a result of polititian's decisions (your country or mine), my commentary is only to explain how I see it. My opinion is only that; my opinion, but if in reading it, you or any others are moved to think about it, they may find themselves wanting to learn more from other sources. That can only be a good thing.
Again, I'm pleased that you took the time to find me on CBC and I hope you continue to keep in touch through my blog.
Jocelyn Hainsworth