Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Not Another Election, Please!

The story about possible cases of BSE in the states has again dropped off the news media radar. I really don't know what to make of it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to hear more, but there has been absolutely nothing for almost a week now.

The news story that just won't go away is the mud that is being unearthed at the Gomery Enquiry. I don't know why they're making such a fuss about it all. Has there been one thing come up that we didn't expect to hear? Is there even one Canadian who thought that the Cretien government was lily white? I guess, if there are points on which I was a little choked, it was the amounts of tax payer's money that was tossed around to pad the bank accounts of certain people. It is no wonder that polititains are held in such low esteme - they are hardly worthy of anthing more than scorn and contempt.

As bad as the Gomery coverage is, it's the spin-off story that has me really angry. All three opposition parties are circling the carcass, wonder when it will be safe for them to sweep in and force an election. They are not the least bit interested in what is good for the country, they just want their turn at the trough. Will a second election in less than a year do us any good? Will it change what happened in Quebec years ago? What do they have to give us that will ensure it will never happen again?

I hope that the polls keep telling them that Canadians want to hear the enquiry out. The Opposition leaders are all being very careful to sound professional and reserved, but give them half a hint that they could win an election and we'd be in the middle of a free for all again. If the pollsters call me, my answers won't be vague!

1 comment:

JOCELYN said...

It was a beautiful day in Saskatchewan today - not as warm as down east but sunshine and blue skies. The wind is supposed to blow again tomorrow - after many days of that already we're getting pretty tired of it. They say that people went crazy during the Dirty Thirties when the wind just kept howling for days on end. i think I can see how that could happen.