Thursday, January 20, 2011

B-B-B-B-BABY IT'S COLD OUT THERE!

A person forgets what 40 below feels like. It's probably self preservation - shutting out the memory of your nostril hairs all crystalizing together in a brittle lacework restricting air flow to your lungs. Mind you not getting the frigid air all the way to your lungs is likely a good thing too- you just run the risk of freezing them too. Suffice it to say that it's just plain nasty out there tonight.

But beautiful in a surreal sort of way. There is a full moon, and when you combine its white light shining on the white snow in the achingly clear coldness, the scenery is breath-taking. I had to stop at the end of the driveway yesterday morning to try to take in the ghostly beauty. It's not often that the moon gives off enough light for you to be able to see the horizon - a silver-blue line in the distance. It was so dark a camera would have never been able to pick the details up so I took a moment to try to store it in my own memory bank. A scene like that doesn't happen too many times in a lifetime.

And, before I put my vehicle in drive again I got out and walked around it to do a tire check - they were all round although it took nearly a half mile before they felt like it. Gotta love how 40 below can make it feel like you are driving on square tires.

The weatherman promised me at supper time that it would warm up all night long (which is good news) and the wind would start to blow (which is not good news). Glen's brother and nephew were over this week with the tractor and snow blower and cleaned out the yard so that I would have no trouble getting in or out. Depending on the direction of the wind and how long it blows, I may or may not be able to make it back out of the driveway to work tomorrow morning. We have had inch after inch of light fluffy snow for weeks now - a howling wind across the prairies is all we need for a fine old blizzard/white-out conditions. Which is all fine and dandy if everyone you know and love is safe inside somewhere ...

I guess that means I should head off to bed early, and set my alarm clock for an earlier call - just in case I have to shovel or fire up the big truck so I can get to town.

No comments: