Thursday, July 16, 2009

I am enjoying a week of being at home these days. I had taken this week for holidays long ago - before the impromptu trip to England in June - and even though all my holiday money was used I decided to go ahead and take this week off too. I'm not going to say that I wouldn't rather be out camping or traveling, but having spent a few days catching up on jobs that I've let slide way too long, I can't say that the time is being wasted.

This morning is a good example: all my original plan entailed was getting the recyclable cans and bottles into the SARCAN depot in town. My focus was rediscovering the floor in my utility room (where things like recycling seem to migrate to), but once I got started the work expanded to include the garage, as well. Not that the SARCAN project wasn't ambitious enough, but the garage job was one of those things that, if I had stopped to think about what a mess it really was, I would have cowered away from the whole works. As it happened, the task just kind of evolved and I was half way through before I realized how much I had taken on. By that time I was already sweaty and filthy, so why not just keep on until I was done? I wish I could actually see Glen's face when he pulls in tonight. I know I sure would be happy if he had cleaned it up while I was gone!

I spent Monday doing a full cut of the lawn. I knew my mower blades were past their prime, but I can't believe the difference since Glen put the new ones on. Once I started, I just wanted to see the whole yard neat and even. It was cold, though, and I was wearing a fleece jacket (in mid-July yet! We had frost on the quonset roof at 4:30 that morning!). By the time I was done mowing in and out of the evergreen shelterbelt I looked like a horror movie's idea of a candy floss cone. I don't know if this is just an exceptional year for spiders, or I 'm not usually wearing something their webs will stick too, but I was just coated in them. Let's just say I'm no fan of spider's webs - I'd rather deal with the actual bugs. I couln't lose that jacket fast enough. Thank goodness just washing it made them all go away.


1 comment:

limpingalong said...

Ugggh! I hate spider webs, and spiders, too! A few years ago our yard was invaded by a number of spiders that made huge webs -- perhaps 10 - 12 feet high X 6 or 8 feet wide. Before I mowed I would walk the yard with my "spider stick" -- a long pole that I used to knock down the webs. Eventually, my destroying their webs every week discouraged them and they moved to pester someone else!