Sunday, December 09, 2007

CHRISTMAS IS A COMIN'

It's not quite as cold out there as it has been this past week or so. Man- has it been miserable! Funny how Environment Canada didn't have anything to say about the coming winter until the North Pole blew south - then, all of a sudden it was "we told you so." and "get ready for more of this." It's pretty hard to believe in this thing called Global Warming when you freeze solid if you stand still for two minutes.

We now have over two hundred animals out in the pasture behind the house. This is where Glen planted his corn this year and he's just let them into their first parcel of it. It is really neat to watch them eat it - first they break off the corn cobs, drop them to the ground and break off a chunk at a time (usually three pieces per cob) until they are all gone. Then they turn their attention to the leaves, and then the stocks. By the time they are finished, the field is neatly cleaned off, and they are gazing longingly across the electric wire at the next batch.

Glen is feeding them bales of hay as well, and every morning he goes out and chops a hole in the dugout ice for them to drink. We are hoping that in the next week (or so - there just aren't enough hours in the days to get everything done) we will be getting the cows and calves separated and the calves weaned. Then it will be easier to arrange a watering bowl for each half of the herd. Chopping the dugout is hard work, and not necessarily the safest - for man or beast.

My life has picked up speed lately - I am a postal worker, after all. This is the busiest (and happiest) time of the year, and even though I come home pretty darned tired, it's a happy kind of tired. We get to deliver the things that people are waiting for, and help them with their surprises for their families. It's all good.

Of course, when I get home from that job, I have to start on trying to get everything ready and under control in this house! I have spent the day doing my cards and letters, doing some baking, and wrapping some gifts. I can't see the tree going up until next weekend and there is a carpenter coming to replace the counter top in my kitchen at mid week. I guess that means we'll be camping out of the bathroom sink for dishes for a few days. Why didn't I think of this before it was going to affect Christmas? Who knows? But it will all come together. It had better - Glen and I are holding the big meal for my side of the family.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I just noticed - noone ever seems to comment. I love reading about the farm, and your events on it - and I rather hope that this diary will eventually turn into a book. Just letting you know that you are being read. Dorothy

JOCELYN said...

Thanks so much for your comment, Dorothy. It's great to know that people are interested in what I write about. My Grandmother once told me that she "saw a book in me". I was only seven or eight at the time and didn't really grasp what she meant. Her comment came from my love of words - the bigger the better - and I certainly wasn't planning a book at that point in time. Now is a different story. I'd like to make her vision come true - though I've got to ditch my day job first, I think.