Sunday, October 28, 2007

FALL WORK AND FOWL SUPPERS

It looks nicer outside today than it really is. Not that I've checked it out for myself - Glen informed me of the nippy temperatures when he came in from feeding Charlie (the latest in a long line of bottle-fed calves). I guess it is almost November, we should be thankful that we don't have snow yet.

I spent yesterday afternoon (the morning was too frosty and cold) outside finishing up what yard work needed to be done. At last the potatos have all been dug and carried in, as well as the last six feet of the carrot row. I'll finish cleaning out the cold room downstairs and get Glen to haul all the heavy bags down when he gets home from work tonight. I've also got the tarps we used to cover the tomatoes during the early frosts all folded and ready to be put away. I tried to get the tiller to start so I could put that away, but it outweighs me by quite a lot - it won that round. I'll leave that job for the he-man of the family.

Last weekend we brought all the cattle in and ran them through the chutes. They all had to be sprayed with a de-louser (we do it every fall - it saves them a lot of misery through the winter) and the calves had to have their innoculations. The girls were home from university to help so the whole operation went pretty smoothly, but it still took the whole day. It just so happened that we had tickets to the annual health foundation fundraiser that night and we were even done in time to take in the meal and dinner theatre - although, after all that fresh air and exercise, it would have been pretty easy to doze off after the meal. Glen has arranged that we will be boarding another 40 cows and 40 feeders through this winter, so when they arrive we'll have to treat them all too. I don't know that there are enough hours in the day to get all the work done, but Glen seems to think we can do it. I'm going to have to sit him down and try to explain the concept of semi-retirement to him again. He's just not getting it.

He is talking about maybe spending a day or two in the states pricing out vehicles. My car is ready for a trade and he wants to see for himself all the pros and cons of buying with Canadian dollars on the other side of the border. For sure you have to look at more than just the price tag, but at first glance the savings on some vehicles are substantial. I just think it will be a great way to have a short holiday away and maybe I can get some Christmas shopping done as well.

With Glen off to work again today, I have plans to get some baking done, some house cleaning, and maybe a last few things done outside. I've already warned him that I plan to invite myself along with my sisters and their husbands to take in a fowl supper tonight. I love the community feel of a fowl supper (and the food is great too) and Glen really would rather have a plate of stew at home - so be it - we'll each get what we want.

4 comments:

Farmboy in the City said...

RE US Auto
This was the subject of an auto phone-in show on tv yesterday. They said all new vehicle dealers have been sternly reminded their franchise agreement precludes them from selling internationally---and will result in loss of dealership.

The tv host (a garage owner, but not a dealer) went on to say he knows of US agents who will buy for you using their US address, then take care of all the paper work to re register in your name and get the car over the border. That still leaves the question of whether the car manufacturer will honor the warranty.
He also said the Canadian dealerships are really suffering due to lack of sales, with prospective buyers,who are all aware of the huge price differences complaining and walking out of the dealerships. He said it is so bad some dealers are laying off employees.
The tv host indicated there is a strong rumor the dealers and manufacturers are going to cave-in, probably in the next couple of weeks!

JOCELYN said...

I know there is lots of contraversy about whether you can, or should, buy out of the country. There have been news programs and legal eagles talking about it on TV too. It's not illegal and if you drive farther than 100 miles south of the border you get a bigger welcome for your interest. There are a few things that have to be up to Canadian standards (seatbelt locks for children's seats and a few others) but if you want to buy down there, and follow the rules, it can be done. The trick will be to get Glen actually off the farm in the first place. The Canadian economy is probably safe.

Deacon David Oatney said...

Jocelyn;
I remember about a year and a-half ago, Canadian media were harping on the low Loony, now they're talking about a high one-and here in the States the talk is of the "low (U.S.) dollar."

If I were in your shoes, I'd jump the border and buy that vehicle.

While you are here, can you come to Tennessee and bring some rain? We've had an awful drought this year-it is so bad that our lakes are low on water and the corn and tobacco crops won't be much this year-and I'm having a hard time getting hay for my rabbits and the price of chicken feed is through the roof-we need water in a bad way.

JOCELYN said...

Hi Dave - long time no talk. We haven't headed down to look at vehicles yet, but my daughter and I went down on Sunday and found all kinds of crazy bargains. It was a shopper's heaven. the best buy was a ceramic stove top to replace the ancient unit I've been using for 25 years. It had to be ordered so in a few weeks we'll tour down to get it and look at cars/trucks then.
I know you guys are suffering - or at least you were in August when my sister and her husband were touring around your neighborhood. they thought they would die of heat stroke! Hope the weather straightens out for you. we've been trying not to blow away for the past two days.