Sunday, January 22, 2006

It's another stunningly beautiful hoar frost day out there today. We have had countless stretches of foggy days when the moisture builds up a laticework of frost crytals on every surface it touches - steel machinery, fence posts and wires, and all plant matter left above the surface of the snow, from a single blade of grass to whole stands of trees. The denser the fog the thicker the frost. And then, when the sun finally comes out and the sky is once again bright blue, nature's work of art is revealed. I've never been able to catch this multi-dimentional beauty on film; I guess too many of the colours are shades of white so the depth just doesn't show. All I can say is it looks like the world has been dusted with diamonds.

There is an old belief that six months after heavy fogs you get rain. I'm sure it's as unscientific as you can get, but there are people who keep track of this out of curiosity. With the amount of fog we've had this winter, we should be busy into boat building in preparation of what is to come about mid May. We have yet to see any significant snow in this corner of the province, but the days of sunshine we've had could be counted on our fingers. This area is usually known for lots of sunshine so it's been a long, dreary time of it - there's been lots of time to wonder if this is another indication of global warming and changing weather patterns, or is it just one of those flukey years that happen from time to time?

Tomorrow is the big election. The polls are predicting that the Liberals are on their way out and that we may even get a Conservative majority. I think Canadians are just weary of politics and want it to be over, which means that a majority would at least keep the politicians at bay for for years. Letting the Liberals think that they are worthy of that kind of trust anymore would be a mistake, so that leaves us with a Conservative government. Not that I think they would be any more trustworthy given a long run either; I'm old enough to remember their previous record. There was a political cartoon a while ago that depicted a woman asking how best to use her vote strategically - she wanted the Liberals out but wanted to keep all the others from getting in. I think there are a lot of Canadians who would like to know how to do that. What does it say about our goverment/system when a whole country feels that way about their leaders?

The community of Redvers is in the midst of putting together a history book. This is something that many prairie towns have done over the past two decades - I guess we recognize that the ability to capture the stories of settling this land is something that will be lost forever if this generation doesn't do it. Actually, Redvers was one of the first towns to do this 25 years ago for our 75th anniversary, but the work was done in such a hurry and the idea of local history books was so new, that the resulting book is a mere shadow of what it should have been. This time we are trying to do it up right - much more research, much larger base of names, past and present, to ask for family histories, and a much more realistic time frame to work within. The unfortunate part is that we have lost most of the original pioneers in the past quarter century so the actual eye witness stories will be lacking. I have volunteered to to the history of the local Rural Municipality of Antler #61 and so that is my next project. I don't know what I've got myself into yet. Chances are the time and effort it takes will be more than worth the interesting bits of local history I'll come across during my research.

4 comments:

Deacon David Oatney said...

Jocelyn;
I've not commented in so long because we have been in the midst of our planned move. I have barely had the time to keep my own blog going...

Your comments about a lot of folks wanting to vote the Liberals out without letting the Tories in are reflective of the attitudes of many, I am sure, and I am not sure I blame them. Canadians' governments have failed them for many years, and I don't blame them for feeling cynical about the democratic process.

However, as someone who has chosen to make politics his life, I can tell you that it always pains me greatly when I hear people say such things about people in government. I know there are people who have been influenced badly and who have done ill by the folks who elected them. From my experience, however, there are a lot of very good people of all political stripes whose only desire is to serve others. These folks never get the media attention.

If I could tell Canadians one thing it would be this: No matter who you vote for, if you haven't voted already, vote today. For all the complaining about having an election, you ought to rejoice in it. There are still many quarters of the world where the process of freely electing leaders is still unknown. Use it, or you might lose it.

JOCELYN said...

Hi Dave - Don't worry, we voted. We're cynical, but take our politics seriously. If you've ever been to Saskatchewan, you'd know we all do. We also know that there are and well-meaning people who try to serve their country and constituancies but held back by how the power is distributed once they get to Ottawa. Meanwhile, we work with what we've got - like you said - there are places in the world a lot worse off.
Jocelyn

Quennelles said...

The theory of strategic voting is based on the premmis of the lesser of two evils. This sort of thinking infuriates me because people consistantly call for genuine change then vote in one of the two parties who have zero political interest in making those changes.

If you want to vote strategically, tell both the Liberals and the Conservatives that they need to make changes. Elect someone else, anyone else. Take the improved showing by the NDP. Some would say it gave us a Conservative minority rather than a Liberal minority. I think of it as a strong call for an alternative voice despite the threat of any Conservative government.

Myself, I voted Green, even though I knew that they wouldn't get a seat this election. Like the lady in that cartoon I couldn't consevably back either the Conservatives or the Liberals. So instead, unlike most Canadians, Ivoted for the party that I actually believe in.

Wayne

JOCELYN said...

Okay Matthew, I'll give it a try - again - and then I'll have to figure out how to post pictures on the blog. I have serious limitations when dealing with technology. Where do you live? Have you ever seen hoar frost?
Jocelyn