Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A little more sun, a little less snow

There's still a long way to go, but spring is on its way. It's not the cold and snow that get to me during winter, it's the lack of sunlight. There are a lot of people who head south for a week or two during the deep, dark days of winter to soak up the sun's rays. They're looking for the "soaking up the sun on the beach" kind of sun. I'm not nearly so demanding in the heat and sun tanning capacities of the sun - I'm just glad to see it over the horizon for more than 7 hours per day!

These days it is just getting daylight as I drive to work at 8:00 in the morning, and it's still bright out as I fix supper an hour after I'm home at night. As soon as the roads aren't quite so icey I've vowed to get out walking again, like I did a few years ago. I know that I need the exercise and the dog is in even worse shape.

The news tonight gave the encouraging news that the border will reopen on March 7th as planned. Although that doesn't make it a done deal yet, it is something to take into account in deciding when to market our last year's calves. Glen is debating the before the border opens vs. after question, and hasn't really come up with a definitive answer. It's just like playing any other market - no one has a crystal ball; we'll just have to make our move and hope for the best.

The new calves will begin to arrive in mid March. The cows all look happy, healthy, and well fed so we don't anticipate any problems. The bull we've been using for the past two years has been excellent, his offspring have been small calves (for easy births) but hardy, with a great ability to thrive and gain weight quickly. We'll have to buy a new one this year as his daughters are old enough to breed this year, and it's best to keep variety in the genetics. We'll likely be doing some shopping at the Redvers Ag-Ex and Bull Congress next month - the best big city show in a small town that Saskatchewan has to offer - or so say many of the exhibitors who come back every year.

The forecast is for higher temperatures for the rest of the week. We had some wonderful, melting days last week - just a taste of what will come. Not that I'm any fan of the mud of March, but it's what we have to go through to get to April showers and May flowers.

1 comment:

JOCELYN said...

Kira, it's so good to hear from the people who read what I have to say. If I have a mission statement it would be to teach non rural people about what goes on out in the country, and the kinds of trials and tribulations we go through. I wouldn't trade my life for the world, and I'm glad I can share it with others.
Jocelyn